Cannabis Infused Edibles? What You Should Know. 15 Feb, 2017
Cannabis Infused Edibles? What You Should Know.
Edibles are a great alternative for those who don’t want to smoke cannabis.
If you are a beginner, no problem! – this concise (and comprehensive) guide aims to help you clear up some of your questions:
What are Edibles?
Edibles is an all-encompassing term that describes cannabis that is ingested instead of inhaled. This is typically achieved in one of two ways:
- Through the saliva (sublingual)
- Through the stomach (gastrointestinal)
Sublingual edibles (lozenges) enable the cannabinoids to enter your bloodstream through the tissues in your mouth. This results with the effects sometimes being felt within a couple of minutes, much like smoking. The catch is, their effects typically wear off within a couple of hours.
When you ingest gastrointestinal edibles (brownies, gummies, chocolates, etc.), you might not “feel anything” for quite a while. But, when you do, the feeling typically lasts a lot longer. For instance, if you eat a cannabis infused cookie, it may take up to two hours for you to feel the effects. But, you may feel them for up to eight hours afterward.
What Happens When You Eat Edibles?
Typically, you feel the effects of edibles for about five hours, with the peak happening about 2 1/2 hours after ingesting the cannabis. One of the reasons for this intensity is that ingesting cannabis allows the cannabinoids to be released in waves. But, truth be told, the exact effect is dependent on a number of factors:
- Type of edible consumed
- Your personal tolerance
- Body chemistry
- How much non-medicated food you’ve eaten recently
Start Low and Go Slow
Edibles are surprisingly delicious so, it’s relatively easy to eat more than you should. But, you must keep in mind that it’s always wise to start low and go slow. In other words, eat a small amount, wait, and eat more should you want to feel strong effects.
Although these amounts seem conservative, they’re actually not. In fact, it’s possible to feel the effects from taking a single bite of a brownie or eating one candy., Prior to medicating with edibles, consider these few tips:
- Read the label thoroughly to make sure that you are taking the right dosage for your unique needs & body.
- Take notes while medicating so you can remember the dosage you consumed and how you felt (you can reword this)
In Case of Overindulgence
If you happen to consume more than you should, paranoid and anxiety-filled thoughts may start to creep into your head. But, it’s important to remember one thing – you are going to be OK. So stay calm, relax, breathe normally, and give your body enough time to let the cannabis pass through your system. In addition:
- Keep note of how much you consumed
- Find a calm place where you can relax.
- Distract yourself by playing some music or watching TV, playing a game on your phone, etc.
- If you are with friends or in public, inform someone you trust about the situation and plan a safe exit, like hiring an Uber, Lyft or a Cab. Never drive while intoxicated.
All in All
Edibles offer users a discrete and convenient method of consuming cannabis. But, when first venturing into this delicious world, you may have lots of questions. . Thankfully, through medicating and taking careful notes (you can reword) and research, you will find what’s best for you. And remember to start low and go slow.