Movie night! What’s it going to be? Netflix? Hulu? Amazon Prime? Redbox? In the digital age, you’ve got access to countless cinematic libraries. Any genre you want. That’s a lot of movies!
You know what will make your movie-watching experience even better? Cannabis, of course. That usually makes most things better!
But we advise you against smoking just any strain of cannabis. No two strains are alike, and you could potentially ruin your entire evening if you’ve got the wrong strain in your pre-roll, bowl, or bong. Some strains are best for watching certain types of movies. And some strains should be avoided no matter what kind of movie it is.
To ensure that you pair the right strain with the right film, here’s a marijuana guide to match your movie mood!
The 5 Best Cannabis Strains to Smoke While Watching a Movie
As a general rule, when you’re planning to Netflix and chill and smoke, you want to avoid heavy-Sativa strains. You could get so energized that you won’t be able to sit still long enough to enjoy the film, or the strain might simply overwhelm your mind with euphoria, making it difficult to concentrate.
On the flip side, you also want to avoid heavy Indicas. “Couch-lock” might seem like a good idea if you’re sitting down to watch a movie, but if the strain is so sedating that you fall asleep, that kinda defeats the purpose.
Hybrids are typically the best strains for movie-watching because they’ll put you in a relaxed state of mind while giving you some mind stimulation that will help enhance your viewing experience.
Within the category of hybrids, you have Sativa-dominant hybrids, Indica-dominant-hybrids, and 50-50 hybrids to choose from. Your mileage may vary with each of these, but here are the 5 best hybrid strains that we recommend for movie-watching.
1. Tahoe Alien
Tahoe Alien is an Indica-dominant hybrid with highly potent, all-encompassing, mind-body effects that make you feel like you’re being launched into another world. In other words, it’s great for highly visual movies — action, sci-fi, fantasy, horror — or anything that feels slightly out of this universe.
2. Blue Dream
The forever-a-classic Blue Dream is a Sativa-dominant hybrid that’s loved by both novice and experienced users alike. Its gentle calming euphoria and uplifting head effects make it ideal for afternoon binge-watching. If you need to be able to follow plotlines — mysteries, thrillers, documentaries — grab a hold of this strain and settle in for the day!
3. White Widow
White Widow a balanced hybrid that gives users a burst of energy, stimulating their creative faculties and propensity for communication. If you like thought-provoking, mind-bending movies that are sure to inspire conversations (we’re thinking arthouse, indy films) this one’s the way to go. Because of the highly energizing nature of White Widow, we recommend smoking this with other people as opposed to smoking it alone. Gotta share that energy!
Chemdawg is an Indica-dominant hybrid that delivers a balanced but intense psychoactive experience. Happiness, contentment and full-body intoxication take place almost immediately. This strain is reputed to be a powerful aphrodisiac, so if you want to snuggle up with your partner and watch a romance movie or a steamy erotic thriller, try this strain on for size.
5. Strawberry Lemonade
Strawberry Lemonade is a delicious-tasting, Sativa-dominant hybrid with a whimsical nature, known for its ebbs and flows, raising your euphoria levels and then bringing you down into a state of serenity. Pair this one with a light comedy!
Cannabis Movie Snacks
Okay, so now you’ve got a few strains to try out before you press “Play.” However, if smoking isn’t your thing but you still want to enjoy some cannabis with your movie, here are some movie edible snack options, complete with recipes!
Cannabis Movie Popcorn
(adapted from All Recipes)
What You Need
- 3 tbsp of peanut oil
- 1 tbsp of cannabutter*
- 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels
- 1/2 tsp of salt
How to Make It
- Heat your peanut oil in a large saucepan with a lid, set over medium-high heat. Pour in your popcorn kernels and sprinkle just enough salt to lightly cover the layer of kernels.
- As soon as the kernels begin popping, shake the pan back and forth across the burner until the popping begins to slow down. When the pops are about two seconds apart, remove from heat.
- In a separate, smaller pan, melt your cannabutter over low-medium heat until it becomes liquified. Pour the liquified cannabutter into the popcorn pan, put the lid on top, and give it a good shake. Pour popcorn into a large bowl and serve.
(adapted from All Recipes)
What You Need
- 1 lb of ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 package of tortilla chips
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or more, if you’re into super-cheesy nachos)
- 1 can of refried beans
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 can of pitted black olives, drained and chopped
- 4 diced green onions
- 1 can of sliced jalapeño peppers, drained
- 2 tbsp of cannabis coconut oil*
How to Make It
- Cook and stir the beef over medium heat until meat is crumbling and no longer pink, which should take between 5 to 10 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in taco seasoning mix and water and allow it to simmer until the beef mixture has thickened. This should take 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once you’re done with your simmer, add the cannabis coconut oil and stir it in until it’s thoroughly mixed. Cover the pan with a lid so that it stays warm.
- Preheat your broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread your tortilla chips on the baking sheet. Top with cheddar cheese and refried beans. Broil until cheese is melted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove nachos from the broiler and then top with your meat mixture, salsa, sour cream, olives, onions, and jalapeños peppers.
*This is just a suggested serving. You should adjust the dose, adding more or less, based on your tolerance level.
Other Cannabis Movie Snacks
With popcorn and nachos, you’re pretty covered on the savory snacks. But don’t forget the sweet options too. You’ll want Dixie Chocolate, Wyld Gummies, or Highly Edible Gummy Rings to satisfy your sweet tooth.
And as a refresher, you can augment any soda or punch you’re drinking with a dose of CannaPunch.
A word of caution: These big snacks are probably best for sharing among large groups. That way, everyone is getting a small piece of the edible as opposed to a few people trying to scarf down a large amount.
Unless you have a high tolerance for edibles, it’s best to have non-infused popcorn, nachos, and other food options. Cannabis has the potential to elicit the munchies and you don’t want to have only infused-snacks to choose from; otherwise, you’ll be in for a long night. So stock up on regular snacks too!
And that wraps up our marijuana guide to match your movie mood! If you’d like to try these strains or pick up some cannabutter or cannabis coconut oil, visit us at any of our three locations — Las Vegas Strip, Tropicana West, Henderson — and one of our dispensary consultants will help you out.
If you already know what you want to order, you can skip the line and place an order online for either pick-up or delivery!
Enjoy your movie!